For the last week or two I've been having at least 5 maybe more Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds at my two feeders on my patio.  I've never had so many.  They are
mostly females and imm. females but a few are imm. males.  I love seeing all
the behavior they are doing like mock courting and the constant chasing by the
owner of the feeder of the intruders.  Unfortunately a neighbor has put out one
of those gaudy large red feeders on their roof patio so I don't have all the
hummers anymore:-(  But I can see my feeders and the other one at the same time
so can watch the antics of all the cuties.  I love that they come right up to
me while I'm photographing them from inside my apt. or when I'm sitting outside
on the patio.  The owner of the feeder is a small female who sits on my
euphorbia to watch for intruders.  She's only about five feet from me without a
care of me being there.  I just wish she'd let more of the more timid hummers
come to the feeders.  Usually only the bigger females and the males can get
away with using the feeders with her there.  It's so entertaining.  While she's
chasing someone others will try to come in.  Some hover right in front of me to
say hello:-)
Andrew Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist
20 Hancock Avenue, Apt. 3
Yonkers, Westchester Co., New York 10705-4629
Phone: 914-963-3080; Cell: 914-319-9701
www.flickr.com/photos/conuropsis/albums