I've been finding small numbers of Pine Siskins since July (in September
siskins were often observed associating with Red Crossbills), and now flocks
are moving in.  Traveling home from downstate on 10/21/17, I took a detour
down Powley Road (southern Hamilton Co.) and found a flock of ~40 Pine
Siskins.  A Sharp-shinned Hawk pursued one (chasing it from the flock), but
was unsuccessful in catching it.  (I don't recommend birding this area right
now - the road was lined with hunter trucks and lots of people camping.)

Today, I went out this morning to see Gray Jays.  I stopped at 4 locations
in Long Lake (Hamilton Co.) and found Pine Siskin flocks at 3 of my stops!
We have plenty of food so I suspect the flocks are moving in, and not just
through, the area.  Also of note: A tailless Gray Jay showed up among the 5
Gray Jays at my Sabattis Bog stop.  It looked really odd and struggled to
fly - it was reminiscent of an Amer. Woodcock in its flight.  It didn't
appear to "know" me and was skittish.  The bird followed the other Gray Jays
as they cached food I brought, but they chased it away.  I posted a photo of
the tailless Gray Jay on my Facebook page below.  Purple Finches are moving
around and I hear them everywhere I go.  Red Crossbills are finished nesting
but still in the area (and will likely nest again in winter).  I'll post
more sightings by tomorrow.

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home