I took advantage of today’s beautiful weather and decided to do some CBC
scouting, focusing my efforts in the Napeague area.

I began the day at Walking Dunes, Goff Point and Hicks Island where I spent
several hours and encountered a good variety of birds which was highlighted by
a late BALTIMORE ORIOLE. An Orange-crowned Warbler was among a flock of
Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warblers. Additional nice, yet expected, species were
three Eastern Meadowlarks, a single Razorbill and my first of season Horned
Grebes. Snow Bunting and Horned Lark numbers were surprisingly low with one and
two, respectively.

Next, I headed to Napeague Meadow Road and parked at the foot of North Road
where I hiked east slowly detailing the pitch pines and bayberry groves with
hopes of digging up some lingering, warmer season migrants. No such luck but
three Pine Warblers associating with a flock of chickadees and kinglets were a
nice addition to the day. I was near the end of my hike, very close to where
the marsh meets Napeague Harbor, and began to focus my attention on an upland
“Island” patch of vegetation (41.0038, -72.0634) where I encountered an adult
male YELLOW-RUMPED (AUDUBON’S) WARBLER. Unfortunately my cell phone battery had
expired so I could not get the location specifics out as timely as I would’ve
liked to. I spent the next 1.5 hours trying to relocate the bird and in that
timeframe only saw it for a cumulative 10 seconds. It would be great to
relocate this bird during the Montauk CBC on 16 December. Folks interested in
trying to refind this bird may also want to try the east end of Crassen
Boulevard which is just north of the above coordinates and is holding nice
numbers of Myrtles. An additional species of interest, this far east on the
south fork, was a Common Raven calling from the distant cell tower to the south.

Record photos of the Audubon’s Warbler can be viewed here in my eBird
checklist.

Best,

Derek Rogers
Sayville