As much as I’d like to claim the high-minded ideals of the altruistic
citizen scientist who is wholly uninterested in his own numbers, I can’t.
I’m very much a lister—at turns shamefully and shamelessly so. Numbers and
lists don’t motivate me; moments with the birds do. But numbers and lists
sure are cool to look at, and they’re nice to peruse when I’m not in the
field. I really, *really* like looking at my lists. There, I said it.

While I did start using eBird in 2013 to contribute to the big picture and
be a citizen scientist, the way the database presents and organizes my
personal data for me has further advanced my interest in that personal
data. Maybe too much so.

The Major Regions, Countries, States, and Counties tabs are very cool. The
introduction of the profile feature with its color-graded maps? The Target
Species feature? The “Hot 100” (Shai’s apt term, not mine)? These features
all serve to reinforce the likelihood that, for many, this site is a way to
record personal data. The usefulness of that data to science is, to many
users, secondary—a by-product of a birder’s desire to see how her 2017
compares to her 2016, and so on. Cornell definitely knows this.  They
continuent to attract users with ways to serve themselves and then, whether
incidentally or intentionally, to serve science and conservation at the
same time.

The site and the app have grown by such tremendous leaps and bounds lately.
I’ve no doubt there’s a way to make not-countable species not count even
when added to everyday checklists. And I’ve also got no doubt that there
are scads of birders who simply will not put Muscovy Ducks, Budgies, or
European Goldfinches on their lists if it means their numbers aren’t
“officially” correct—just as sure as I am that some people will count the
Virginia Rail regardless of how long ago the Wild Bird Fund released it in
the park.

Anyways, thanks for all the thoughtful and passionate discussion. There are
few groups of people of which I’m happier to count myself a member than
birders in general and NY State birders in particular. You guys are all
right.

Brian

BTW