The radar pattern tonight is similar to what it was last night.  High
reflectivity and high velocity in a NW direction.  Does this mean tomorrow will
be birdy or quiet? I can’t say for sure but I’d like to share some thoughts
about it.

Steve brings up the issue of promising radar reports but poor showings on the
ground.  The mediocre showing today despite high reflectivity on radar is a
phenomenon I have seen a number of times before. It has been my impression that
this occurs more frequently on nights when migration velocity is high.  I have
never seen an explanation for it, but thinking about it today, a theory
occurred to me.

To illustrate the theory, I’d like to use the analogy of rain on a windshield.
Whenever I am driving on the highway in the rain, the faster I drive, the
harder it seems to rain.  While driving fast does not increase the density of
raindrops falling from the sky, it does cause many more drops to hit the
windshield per second as you drive into a steadily falling stream.

Perhaps it is the same with bird radar.  When birds are flying particularly
rapidly, more of them may intersect with the radar beam per second.  This
produces an increase in reflectivity, without an increase in density of birds.
Since we generally assume that high reflectivity is due to high bird density,
the spurious increased reflectivity would make it seem that more birds were up
there than really were. Hence a disapointing showing on the ground the next
morning. This scenario could explain what happened last night.

While I have not heard of this theory before, I doubt I am the first to think
of it.  I emailed Cape May radar-maven David La Puma about it today. If he gets
back to me, I’ll let you know what he thinks.
So what about tomorrow?  I would just say this.  Birds are up there and
migrating rapidly.  It's just that the numbers MAY NOT be as high as it appears
based on reflectivities.

In any case, good luck out there,

Peter

    On Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 7:17:58 PM EDT, Shaibal Mitra