Yesterday, May 10th George Chiu and I hit the roads of northern Broome
County to see what migrants and newly arrived breeders dropped in from
Wednesday night's strong south winds. King Street Town of Barker, NY is a
favorite local spot that has a lot of breeders and we started there. I am
happy to report good numbers of BLACKBURNIAN, BLACK THROATED BLUE,
OVENBIRD, BLACK THROATED GREEN WARBLERS which are breeders. MAGNOLIA
WARBLERS are just arriving here. We also had a nice migrant "wave" in an
open area with one large spruce and some smaller aspen and bushes near a
pond. We don't have northern breeders at this spot so we are pretty sure
the BLACKBURNIAN, MAGNOLIA and BLACK and WHITE were part of this wave which
included 4 CAPE MAYS in one tree and a gorgeous BAY-BREASTED WARBLER!
Farther up King Street, we heard a MOURNING WARBLER close to where it
typically breeds. Then at Upper Lisle County Park we had our first
TENNESSEE WARBLER of the season singing its classic three part song. We
also had a BLUE-WINGED WARBLER singing a golden-winged song which was cool!
All in all we had 20 species of warblers.

Dave Nicosia