From: bounce-121480864-11143...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-121480864-11143...@list.cornell.edu] on behalf of Shaibal Mitra
[shaibal.mi...@csi.cuny.edu]
Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:47 PM
To: NYSBIRDS (NYSBIRDS-L@cornell.edu)
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Hooded Warblers and the Slingshot

An unusual number of Hooded Warblers were found on Long Island and vicinity
today, in conjunction with Blue Grosbeaks and Summer Tanagers--and also
seasonally early examples of female Indigo Buntings and Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks. In contrast, the migrant species typically most abundant at this
date--Myrtle & Palm Warblers, Savannah & White-throated Sparrows, etc.--were
present in at best modest numbers at Long Island's migrant traps today. This
disparity is the signature of a slingshot event, set in motion days ago and
hundreds of miles away, with the displacement of trans-Gulf migrants over the
Atlantic.

Please be sure to report or eBird all Hooded Warblers seen in coastal New York,
so that an accurate total can be tabulated.

Whereas most rare-scarce warblers in southeastern NYS tend to occur during the
biggest spring flights of common warblers, Hooded and Prothonotary tend to
occur here in association with grosbeaks and tanagers, on otherwise slow days.
For a discussion of slingshots and different kinds of spring flights, see:

http://www.nybirds.org/KBsearch/y2005v55n3/y2005v55n3p213-227mitra.pdf#

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore