Gerry McGee, Joe McManus, Saul Scheinbach, Chee Yong, Noa and Mayra Cruz, Laura
Juner and I, birded Goose Creek Marsh in Pelham Bay Park. The marsh is located
adjacent to the Split Rock Golf course.
We birded along the Split Rock horse trail and found the small opening through
the phragmites to the marsh. It is an uncomfortable place to walk and stand,
ankle twisting, wet, muddy, and very buggy. There is no shade. I definitely do
not recommend going there alone, since it is a hidden location.
The marsh provided us with the Virginia Rail and Saltmarsh Sparrow, our target
birds.  There were more Marsh Wrens than we could count. Most of the other
species were found along the trail as we proceeded to the actual Spllt Rock,
which we viewed through the foliage from the trail.
Local legend says Anne Hutchison hid in this split rock while escaping from the
Siwanoy in 1643. However, this has been disputed.
https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/pelham-bay-park/highlights/11662

Good birding,
Jack Rothman
cityislandbirds.com