A drake Eurasian Wigeon was among the first birds I saw as I arrived at the
south end of the East Pond this morning. The water is getting high again,
allowing ducks to come close. But they all quickly moved away with me there,
even before I could get to the edge of the pond. Shorebirds at the south end
stayed in sight and included about 45 Greater Yellowlegs, 8 Lesser
Yellowlegs, and 5 Long-billed Dowitchers. The dowitchers could conceivably
stay for the winter, if they don't get flooded out of one of the too few
suitable habitats around here. I mentioned this to a ranger, and he said he
would pass along the idea of continuing to manage it beyond the usual
seasonal time frame. We'll see.

Also at Jamaica Bay today were a Ferruginous Hawk, Steppe Eagle, and Eagle
Owl. For real. Raptorama.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY