Having my office move from across Bryant Park to Hudson Yards in April has been
a tough birding experience.  Especially after one of my favorite vacant lots of
wild trees and vegetation above 36th Street was bulldozed this summer.

Nevertheless, I got 30 species in the spring and over the summer I saw the
Herring Gulls flock to the two green roofs over Jacob Javits and Postal
Service, scare off all of the Ring-Billed Gulls, lay eggs, have fluffy grey
fledgelings, and then depart en masse post-Hurricane Dorian in early September.

I’ve been able to add some species during the fall migration - typical for the
fall, more sparrows and wrens.  There have been some late-staying Ovenbirds,
Common Yellowthroats, and a Wood Thrush I would see occasionally.

But today I encountered my favorite from Bryant Park - my first American
Woodcock - in the small garden plot north of 34th street by the construction
wall on the west side.  It would scuttle up over the hill and out of sight as I
would walk from one side to the other.  That’s species number 47!

Happy Birding,
Alan Drogin