Hi All,

It's important to point out that news of the American Golden-Plover initially
went out via the Manhattan Bird Alert @BirdCentralPark maintained by David
Barrett on twitter in a tweet from the finder, Gloria Hong @Lucent508.

--

Just to confirm the i.d. on this bird: this plover is a
hatch-year/first-fall/first-cycle American Golden-Plover.

It has a more rounded head and smaller, more slender bill than Black-bellied
Plover and lacks the latter's black wingpits (axillaries). This young bird has
a more distinctly speckled breast than that of an adult American Golden-Plover
and a less sharply-defined eyebrow (supercilium).

Here are two views of the bird in flight:

pic.twitter.com/TDVOdjynBZ

Comparing it to Pacific Golden-Plover:

It has longer wings, that is, the wings stick out farther past the end of the
tail, and a shorter bill.

It lacks the warm-toned underparts of a Pacific Golden-Plover in the same age
class. The tertials and scapulars of the bird are less pointed than those of a
Pacific Golden-Plover. In Pacific Golden-Plover these feathers have thinner,
plainer borders that contrast more with the dark centers of the feathers.

Another couple of photos posted on the twitter Manhattan Bird Alert earlier:

pic.twitter.com/pzNdS50uTh

The length of the wings vis-a-vis the tail can be seen in the photo on the left.

--
After relocating the bird with the help of Mary Beth Kooper at around 11:10
this morning, on a mudflat in the Bronx Kill on the northwest side of Randall's

It may be worthwhile checking the northern shore of Randall's Island again
tomorrow morning at low- to mid-tide.

Deb Allen