Following my report earlier today of a Long-billed Dowitcher (LBDO) on the
Southend. I found another 2 LBDOs as I covered the Pond from the south to the
northend and back.

Additional highlights included, 31 STILT SANDPIPERS, 1 WESTERN SANDPIPER, 3
PECTORAL SANDPIPERS. 23 KILLDEERS (including fledglings), 1 CASPIAN TERN, 1
GULL-BILLED TERN, 3 PURPLE MARTINS, 1 ADULT BALD EAGLE and the continuing
WHITE-FACED IBIS.

Both Yellowlegs continue with decent numbers. Least Sandpiper numbers are
building and Semipalmated Sandpipers are trickling in. With the water level it
is, we might get one of those seasons where the Dowitcher numbers build nicely.
Today’s Short-billed Dowitcher number was 397 which saw a nice jump since my
last visit.

The Duckage numbers seemed quite low but Blue-winged Teal and Ruddy Ducks are
still around.

And now for a PSA: I am seeing a lot of new faces venturing out onto the East
Pond. This is all great but I get the sense that many of these new visitors are
not privy to some of the dodgy areas on the Pond. Today, through my scope I
watched an older gentleman taking a spill near the Raunt. This, even though he
was in close proximity to veteran users of the Pond. To the admins of the
various messaging groups, please encourage your members to exercise caution
when visiting the Pond. Do not wander around casually.

I also cannot emphasize enough. Knee High boots unless you are feeling brave or
immune like Steve Walter.

I have opened up more trails on the south end to allow visitors to avoid
walking the edge of Schriber’s Slew. I’ll widen those trails sometime during
the week as well as filling in some more of the holes at the Southend edge.

Good East Pond Birding!

--------
“Tenderness and Kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but
manifestations of strength and resolution” ~ Khalil Gibran

"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire