Took a look this am for the unusual Herring Gull that's been reported here.
When I got there I found on the rocks at the end of the road a Herring Gull
with dull yellow legs, but the mantle looked to be the same color as the other
few Herrings nearby.  I have seen yellow-legged Herrings a few times over the
years so assume the bird I had was one of those.  >From Shai's photos it would
seem his bird is obvious right away.  It really didn't seem right for Shai's
gull.  I also had what looked like a yellow-legged Great Black-backed Gull on a
rock off shore with some other gulls.  I had never seen a Great Black-backed
with yellow legs before.  I at first thought Lesser Black-backed, but the
posture and form was wrong plus it was not much smaller than the immature Great
Black-backed near it.  It was also a little larger than the Herrings next to
it.  Never seen a Lesser the size of a Herring let alone larger.  Interesting
bird.
As an aside, on the way home I stopped in Stony Brook and saw a heron colony on
an island in the lake at T. Bayles Minuse Mill Pond Park.  The nests were small
so not Great Blue.  I assume night-herons, but which one?  Will have to go back
in a month to see.
Andrew
Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist
20 Hancock Avenue, Apt. 3
Yonkers, Westchester Co., New York 10705-4780
www.flickr.com/photos/conuropsis/albums