From: ebirds...@groups.io <ebirds...@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew Baksh
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 10:04 PM
To: nysbirds-l <NYSbirds-L@cornell.edu>
Cc: NycEbirds <ebirds...@groups.io>
Subject: [ebirdsnyc] Jamaica Bay East & West Pond Shorebird Updates…

Alas, my plans to up my Kings County list went awry as none of the shorebird
rarities seen on the Brooklyn side of the West Pond was there today. And so I
must remain patient. Shane Blodgett, came to mind today as I finally understood
his persistence in waiting for a 2010 West Pond Black-bellied Whistling-Duck to
cross over into Brooklyn’s territory 😬

As for the East Pond. Well, I decided to take a crack at the Northend this
afternoon and it was a good decision. 22 species of Shorebirds is not too
shabby.

The highlights were:

HUDSONIAN GODWIT (2)

MARBLED GODWIT (2)

WILSON’s PHALAROPE (2 - adult and juvenile)

WHIMBREL (flyover) my second flyover bird of the season, also seen by Eric
Miller and Jean Loscalzo. The bird was last seen heading across the road
towards the West Pond.

Shorebird numbers have tailed off as to be expected; however, the diversity is
increasing. Juvenile Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers numbers are up. Though,
I have not seen any juvenile Western Sandpiper as of yet and it has been awhile
since I was able to pull out any adult from the mass of “brown jobs” that now
dominate the peep scene. Watch out for those big billed Semis.

Greater Yellowlegs remain sparse in numbers. Lesser Yellowlegs numbers are way
down but counts remain somewhat decent, with several juveniles. Stilt
Sandpipers are still showing in double digits but well down from weeks ago. A
few juveniles are present as well.

White-rumped Sandpipers seem to favor the south east side of the pond but a few
were up north this afternoon. Often heard as the flock of shorebirds wheeled in
flight to avoid being a Peregrine snack. Be prepared for this when visiting;
the Peregrines are known to make several passes and will disrupt the peace.
Sometimes, ruining a good morning or afternoon if things up and leave the pond
even if only temporary.

The Black-headed and Bonaparte’s Gulls are still around. Also many crisp
looking juvenile Laughing, Herring and Great Black-backed Gulls as well.

Good August Shorebirding!

--------

“Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves could free our
mind.” ~ Bob Marley

“Tenderness and Kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but
manifestations of strength and resolution” ~ Khalil Gibran

"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind

林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

 <http://refspace.com/quotes/Sun_Tzu> Sun Tzu
<http://refspace.com/quotes/The_Art_of_War> The Art of War

(\__/)
(= '.'=)

(") _ (")

Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device!

Andrew Baksh

www.birdingdude.blogspot.com <http://www.birdingdude.blogspot.com>

_._,_._,_

  _____