The Limpkin in Lewiston, along the Niagara River, was seen throughout the
day yesterday and was there again this morning. It is sticking to a very
small area - a linear strip about 50 yards long. If you don't see it, just
carefully check the weeds at the base of the slope for any movement. It can
really hide in there!

If you have not seen the bird by now, unfortunately, your opportunity may
soon be over. I know this will be disappointing/upsetting to those who have
had no chance to chase it during the week and were waiting for the weekend.
Although there may be disagreement on whether or not humans should
intervene, there is strong consensus among people that I have talked with
that the health of this bird should be the primary consideration. A
rehabilitator has been alerted who is willing to transport the bird to
Florida. Although the bird seems fine now, we know how quickly things can
change. We are fairly certain from past experience (the Anhinga near
Rochester), that this bird will not simply leave when things get really bad
for it. Therefore, its capture may come sooner rather than later. Capturing
a healthy bird often results in a better outcome than capturing one that is
already unwell. Please don't ask me exactly when this will occur because I
don't know. It could be today. We will continue to monitor the Limpkin and
try to assess its condition, as well as watch what the weather is or will be
doing.

The snowstorm in Buffalo is horrendous right now and there is a driving ban
in parts of Buffalo and the suburbs. Nobody should be driving into or close
to the city to see this bird. If you are coming from the east, go through
Rochester and come along Lake Ontario, then back south to Lewiston.

The coordinates are 43.173805, -79.049374 Mapped pin:
https://goo.gl/maps/CyuEbPmWpmwBt1DL8  This is below the cliff, down at
river level. You must park above at street level and take the stairs down.
For those who have difficulty walking, you can be driven down and let off at
water level. Look for the blue-gray building that says "harbor master" over
one of the doors. Next to it is a blue-gray shed. The weeds that it was
hanging out in all afternoon on Tuesday are between those two buildings,
which are only 15 feet apart. The bird sometimes moves behind one of the
buildings but you can usually find it by moving around. It is close, only 30
feet or so away, though usually obscured or made invisible by weeds, and
does not seem particularly concerned about people. However, please do not
surround it, as it does sometimes like to come out into the open. I suggest
that people stay off the grass in order to give it some space. You will
still get great views.

PLEASE NOTE: If anyone notices the bird showing concerning behavior, such as
lethargy, noticeable limping, or dragging a wing, could you please contact
me ASAP.

Thanks and good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna