I'm wondering if I saw a Great White Heron.

I was on a non-birding visit (but with binoculars) to Marshlands
Conservancy on the day before hurricane/TS Henri when I saw a large white
heron/egret that has been troubling me.  Compared to the many Great Egrets
that I saw today in NJ, this bird remains anomalous, so:

Initially assumed to be Great Egret.  The bill appeared too massive, the
upper mandible somewhat dark, and the culmen somewhat straight.  The
overall bill color did not present as the intense yellow that I saw on all
the Great Egrets today.  The legs were blackish on the lower 1/4 (mud?) but
definitely not black for the remainder - more along the lines of olive but
not yellow.  It flew from the shore (where I had assumed it was just a
Great Egret) to one of the mid-channel platforms and it gave a call that
reminded me of Great Blue, which is why I actually looked at it again.  No
plumes.  Lores appeared greenish but this bird was viewed at range without
a scope.

On the face of it, it has potential to be Great White Heron but I assumed I
was just going senile since I've only ever seen that in FL.  I may yet
still be nute, but this evening I noticed:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S74368904
from Oct 2020 (Cos Cob, CT), also one report from Nov, and also references
an initial report by James Muchmore in late Sept 2020.

Anyone birding the north shore of the L.I. sound might want to check Great
Egrets a little more carefully than usual.

Phil Jeffrey
Princetin-ish NJ