Encouraged by recent reports from the Montauk area (many including Pat & Shai's
Thursday encounters https://ebird.org/checklist/S126535539), my Dad and I
visited the area today, 21 Jan.
The clear highlight was two separate Common Murres - a transitioning bird on
the ocean below the Camp Hero bluffs, and a basic bird on the sound off
Culloden. While this species is regular just a bit farther offshore, it is a
true novel rarity in the inshore waters! These birds (as well as the
well-documented bird at Breezy Pt earlier this month and one on the Thames
River, CT this week) furnish interesting records this winter, and are quite
possibly the rarest birds in context in those respective regions so far this
month.
In addition to the unseasonably high counts of certain species (RTLO, NOGA,
RAZO), Black-legged Kittiwake numbers continue around the Point. We had over 80
at the point proper (a high tally, but not as many as recently), and later
arrived to an incredible scene during the mid-ebb tide at the Montauk Inlet. We
observed flocks of kittiwakes feeding IN the inlet and the north end of Lake
Montauk. Observing kittiwakes feeding just feet away, calling in the gull
frenzies, and circling low over our cars in the Gosmans Inlet lot was simply
surreal - and something I never expected to experience from land in NYS.
Other highlights included:Pacific Loon - Lake MontaukThick-billed Murres - Lake
Montauk Inlet & Montauk PtDovekie - multiples on both sides of the point& many
others
I am still submitting and updating eBird checklists from the day, but
preliminary lists can be temporarily found at:
https://ebird.org/tripreport/102982
Best regards,Mike McBrien