Bob might have been thinking what I was thinking last weekend – that the
extensive snow cover could push the Spotted Towhee out in search of open spots.
But because of the cold and difficult footing I was encountering in places
close to home, I refrained from going. Remembering that I used to be tough, I
gave it a shot today. And I was successful! What do they say? 28th time is a
charm. Actually, it was the fourth time for me.

Unlike last month’s randomness, I think it may be possible to target specific
spots now. Along the usual path, look on the right side (coming from the
parking lot) for the three ivy covered trees (thicker ivy on the right tree),
with a scraggly little cedar a few feet before them. The towhee appeared on the
ground here on a couple of occasions (and also sat in the cedar for a few
minutes, at one point). On another occasion, it was in the area of the path
from where the school can be seen (but staying in the brush).

I posted a picture on my web site (along with a few other pictures to which the
snow and ice deserve some credit). http://stevewalternature.com/ , select Birds
and Recent Work.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY