The American Princess whale watching boat will be running another overnight
birding pelagic trip on July 16-17 out of Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn.

Deep water off the Hudson Canyon (and adjacent canyons) holds a great many
possibilities in mid-summer, and the mid-July window is an under-explored
one in New York pelagic history. A good variety of shearwaters (6 taxa) and
storm-petrels (3 taxa) are regularly seen, and as we get into warmer summer
waters, possibilities for Pterodroma petrels, tropicbirds, and boobies
increase. The overnight trip at the end of June a couple of weeks ago
featured very good encounters with Scopoli’s Shearwater and Band-rumped
Storm-Petrel (perhaps of two different taxa/populations), as well as a
constant presence of Wilson’s Storm-apetrel, Cory’s Shearwater, and Great
Shearwater. We also came across a Sperm Whale, an exciting pod of Striped
Dolphin, Fin and Humpback whales, several pods of Risso’s Dolphins, and a
few Loggerhead Sea Turtles.

For those interested in the upcoming July trip, the link is here:

https://americanprincesscruises.com/events/24-hour-pelagic-marine-wildlife-trip-07-17-2023/

Good summer seabirding!
-Doug Gochfeld (Brooklyn, NY)