Hi all,

I’m writing to follow up on my previous request for observations of eastern
red crossbills feeding on conifers. As the dog days of summer kick in and
breeding bird activity winds down, conifer cone crops are maturing, so it’s
a great time to look for crossbill breeding activity!

I’m looking for recordings of crossbill calls from the eastern US/Great
Lakes with information on the conifers the birds are feeding on. The
recordings do not have to be made with any advanced equipment – most phone
recordings are sufficient. Pictures of the conifer cones are most helpful.
However, if you are comfortable with conifer identification, notes on which
conifers birds are feeding on are also valuable.

Based on contributions from several folks across the eastern US, I’ve
accumulated nearly 200 records of eastern red crossbills and the conifers
they’re feeding on. If you’re interested, I’ve posted a little blurb on my
website (https://ckporter.weebly.com/eastern-red-crossbill-ecology.html)
illustrating and describing the preliminary data for type 12, the crossbill
I have the most data for and am most interested in for this project.

Although there are some intriguing patterns in the data so far, describing
the feeding ecology of type 12 and other eastern call types will require
*much* more data across many seasons and years. So, if you have crossbills
in your area, please consider uploading recordings and conifer information
to eBird. I’ve also created an iNaturalist project (link below) where
observations can be uploaded. If you don’t use eBird or iNaturalist, please
feel free to send me any observations directly.

Thanks a ton for considering my request. Please feel free to reach out with
any questions! Also, please pass this onto anyone you think might be
interested in participating.

Good birding,

Dr. Cody Porter

Ames, Iowa