The overnight pelagic trip out of Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn this weekend
was yet another successful and enlightening trip to the deep waters of the
New York Bight.

Overnight, some of those who were awake got to witness some of the Perseid
meteor shower, including a few very impressive ones streaking through the
sky. There were also a couple of unidentified passerines that silently flew
over the boat, visible as mere shadows above the lights of the boat.

Sunrise on Monday, 8/14, found us having a long moment of silence in honor
of Tom Johnson over the mouth of the McMaster Canyon, northeast of Hudson
Canyon. His memory was with many of us throughout this interesting day at
sea, as it will be on all foreseeable future trips to these parts.

After an hour and a half in this vicinity we worked our way south and west,
spending time in the Babylon Canyon and on the shelf between the Babylon
and the Hudson Canyon. We then headed from shore over the east wall of the
Hudson Canyon. Water temperatures were fairly consistent between 77 and 79
degrees F during most of our time beyond and along the shelf edge.

With the weak cold front overnight Sunday into Monday we had a few migrant
passerines, the most unexpected of which was a *Downy Woodpecker* 106
statute miles from the closest point of land (Shinnecock Inlet east jetty,
apparently). A *Cliff Swallow* was present flying around the boat at the
same time as the woodpecker, making for an interesting combination. We also
had at least three encounters with Barn Swallows throughout the day, and a
lone *Eastern Kingbird* a bit over 50 miles from land.

More details will be in the eBird Trip Report linked here, but a list of
additional highlights is below:
https://ebird.org/tripreport/151450

Birds:
*White-faced Storm-Petrel*- 1 in heavy wing molt followed around for
several minutes
*Bridled Tern-* 1 adult
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel- *21* (most or all showed no active wing molt)
Red-necked Phalarope-* 31* (including two different groups of 11)
Audubon's Shearwater- 38
Wilson's Storm-Petrel- *~4,300* (this is added up from the hourly
checklists, but the margin of error is certainly a couple of hundred)
Black Tern- 2
Least Tern- 3
Cory's Shearwater- 32
Great Shearwater- 32

Non-Birds:
*Sowerby's Beaked-Whale*- 4+ breaching fully out of the water in the
distance
*Cuvier's Beaked-Whale*- 2+ close to the boat
*Whale Shark*- 1 in the wake as we were motoring, and not definitively
identified at the time
Fin Whale- 6+
Humpback Whale- 2
Minke Whale- 1
Pilot Whale- ~20
Several pods each of Common Dolphin, Bottlenose Dolphin, Risso's Dolphin
Loggerhead Sea Turtle- 3
Cownose Rays- multiple groups of up to 30 individuals
Flying Fish- Many of multiple species throughout the day
Sargassum Crab- 1 gnawing on a piece of chum in the deep
Several other sharks, some of which may have identifiable photos

Good Pelagic Birding
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.