On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:46:03 Brislen, Paul, VF-NZ wrote:
> Hi Michael, not entirely sure i'd agree with you on that.
>
> If you want to email me off list with your details i'll have someone loom
> into what's going on.
>
> I run a fax here at home on my red network connections nd have no trouble
> at all.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul

Is your "Red Network" connection a resold Telecom line?

This has already been looked at by someone within Escalations and your
technical department and I have not gotten any resolution.

I went back with a proposal to easily fix (well 'circumvent') the problem and
it was rebuffed, the excuse being a. Customer link is only available to
businesses and b. We want more money every month.

I believe that I only got as far as I did because of my technical background
in Internet and telecommunications I was able to identify the source of the
problem and tell your engineers where to look.

As far as I am concerned I have gone through the right process, concluded that
without resolution, and now I am publically stating there is a problem
because I believe that Telecommunications companies have a ethical (and
probably legal) obligation to handle all standard telephony traffic, and
where they can't, to make customers aware of this, rather then sheltering
behind red herrings and technical complexities which confuse most people, as
is often the case within the industry.

I believe the problem is related to Vodafone's use of T.38 to handle faxes.

In plain terms a standard Voice over IP network can't handle faxes with any
reliability, so networks use an 'abstraction' protocol called T.38 to
transmit the fax in a manner that an IP network can live with.

However, anyone who is on any of the major VoIP mailing lists like Asterisk,
Callweaver etc will know, T.38 is far from a reliable, robust or hassle free
to implement protocol.

I know this from my own personal experience with T.38. I used it myself for a
while and I was able to get to around 90% reliability rate with good quality
end equipment and very ideal network conditions.

Now when this starts being thrown out in to the wild with average network
conditions, or even just average equipment (most fax machines are built to a
price) and the reliability rate plummets based on my previous trials of T.38.
My logs showed that 50% was the average reliability.

Equipment that formally worked fine on traditional channelised digital
services (Like Telecom at present) suddenly starts having problems.

By comparison the reliability rate I experienced with the same equipment and
setup with using Telecom was almost 100%.

A in depth technical explanation about T38 can be here:
http://www.soft-switch.org or here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.38

Michael