Hi Axel,

I would be happy to see OAuth move away from state as a CSRF protection mechanism in the future, but there is not too much to be gained from relying solely on PKCE right now. The main advantage is that relying on PKCE incentivizes clients to properly manage the session state in a cookie instead of relying on a parameter. Beyond that, there's a small reduction in effort required by the client, messages will be smaller messages, etc.. The disadvantage is that a client puts CSRF protection in the hands of the AS. Therefore, we chose the wording "ensure" to say that the client has be sure that the AS actually implements PKCE correctly before relying on it. What that means in the concrete instance is up to the client.

Likewise, to your second point, I do not see enough of an advantage to RECOMMEND relying solely on PKCE for CSRF protection.

The main intention here is to open the door to rely on PKCE, e.g., in closed ecosystems, ecosystems with in-depth conformance testing, first-party applications and similar. This also helps to avoid a lot of convoluted language telling client developers how to properly choose, track, and check state values in profiles such as FAPI (and the pitfalls when interpreting that language).

-Daniel