Hi Giuseppe,

The current figure in the Introduction from draft-demarco-status-attestations-latest is:

+-----------------++-------------------+
|| Requests Status Attestation ||
||---------------------------->||
| Wallet Instance || Credential Issuer |
|| Status Attestation||
||<----------------------------||
+-----------------++-------------------+

+-- ----------------++----------+
|| Presents credential and||
|Wallet Instance| Status Attestation| Verifier |
||---------------------------->||
+-------------------++----------+

IMO, using the vocabulary agreed during the last BoF video conference, this figure should be modified as follows:

+------------++-------------------+
|| Requests *Digital Credential* ||
|| and presents proof of knowledge of ||
|| either a private key or a link secret ||
|| and proof or origin of wallet instance | Credential Issuer |
| Holder |--------------------------------------->||
||| |
||*Digital Credential*||
||<---------------------------------------||
+------------++-------------------+

+-- ---------++-------------------+
|| Presents *Credential proof*||
| Holder|| Verifier|
||--------------------------------------->||
+------------++-------------------+

Denis

Hi Hannes,

Thank you for your quick reaction and also to Orie for sharing.
I've submitted the draft, here: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-demarco-status-attestations/

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-demarco-status-attestations/>
Regarding the term Attestation: good point. We have decided to use this term since in several IETF and OpenID drafts this term seems pretty established, the term Attestation is found at least in the following specifications:
  - Attestation based client-authentication (it's in the title)
  - OpenID4VC High Assurance Interoperability Profile with SD-JWT VC (wallet attestation)
  - OpenID for Verifiable Presentations - draft 20 (verifier attestation)
  - OpenID for Verifiable Credential Issuance (section "Trust between Wallet and Issuer": Device Attestation)

Meantime in the eIDAS Expert group this term is going to be changed to "Wallet Trust Evidence".

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-demarco-status-attestations/>
I don't have a strong opinion on what would be the best semantic for this, I just have realized the functional difference between a Digital Credential and an Attestation: the first requires the user to be authenticated and give consent for using the secure storage. The second is obtained with a machine2machine flow where no user interaction is required, the secure storage is not required, no user information is contained in it since the subject is the wallet instance and not the user, it cannot be (re)used without the cryptographic proof of possession. Probably a discussion could start about this term aiming to align several specifications on the same terminology. I could say that Status Attestation is a specific artifact defined for a specific context, other attestations can be defined outside the functional perimeter of this specification. Let's talk about it, it doesn't matters changing terms (eventually mindsets on perceivable meanings).

Here I share some notes I picked along the last two months about this brand new individual draft:

- it is related to digital credential only, I don't expect to use it in legacy infrastructure different from wallet. I really don't need this kind of mechanism in OIDC or any other traditional infrastructure since these doesn't show the privacy issues the wallet ecosystem has; - it would interesting mentioning in the introduction that's pratically an ocsp stapling like mechanism, just to give some context (credit: Paul Bastien); - The Rationale section needs to clarify better problems and solutions, where it seems that the problem does not exist or that it is weak. A review is necessary to clearly bring the benefits;
- Editorials mistake are still along the reading.

thank you for your time and interest,
best