I feel like the source of the confusion might be, *what is the purpose of
the statement in the description of this property. e.g. *Why say anything
at all?

If the description was:
OAuth 2.0 client identifier string.  An
      authorization server MAY issue the same client identifier to
      multiple instances of a registered client at its discretion.

Or even:
OAuth 2.0 client identifier string.

What was the purpose of this statement in the first place. For context
3.2.1. is the *Client Information Response*

OAuth 2.0 client identifier string.  An authorization server MAY issue the
> same client identifier to multiple instances of a registered client at its
> discretion.

This version is great because it is consistent with the information
provided elsewhere in the RFC regarding instances, and reusing the
client_id, if the AS desires.

But this part: *It SHOULD NOT be currently valid for any other registered
client*, seems like it just exists to create confusion. Was there an actual
concern that this statement was created to help implementations avoid?