Having just returned from a trip to the UK where the rumble strp is
continuous along the sides of major highways, I would be the last to endorse
the use of rumble strips along sections of highway shared with cyclists.
        The 'shoulder' on british highways is sometimes less than a foot in
width, and given all the automotive detritus that accumulates in it, there
is no way of avoiding contact with the rumble strip. Under these
circumstances, cycling along these shoulders is comparable with riding along
an unimproved railbed. Anyone who has taken the trip from Stiisvile to
Carleton Place will know what that's like.
        As regards the transverse rumble strips found in Ontario (such as on
highway 89 at Airport Road), I must say that I find them extremely
hazardous, especially on a downhill section of highway with a stop sign at
the bottom, as it is on Airport Road at Mulmur (south of Barrie). There is
nothing worse than fighting to maintain balance with a juddering front wheel
and trying to brake at the same time.
        Encountering a rumble strip on a strange piece of road in the dark
can be equally unnerving, even if there is no downhill involved.

Newsletter:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb/Newsletter