John Forester (Effective Cycling) believes virtually any grade 3 child
can be taught, absorb and perform the following three fundamental
concepts:

1. Ride on the right-hand side of the roadway, not on the left and
   not on the sidewalk.
2. How to yield to crossing traffic when reaching a superior roadway.
3. How to yield to overtaking traffic when moving laterally.

Each child has his or her own individual cognitive and physical
abilities, so knowledgeable cycling parents could start vehicular
cycling instruction to their kids as early as five years of age on quiet
residential streets. I did with my two sons - soon after they could
balance on a two wheeler. It is not unreasonable for kids to be riding
alone on residential streets near home with about a year's worth of
supervised practice. Contemporaneously, they should be introduced to
Forester's next two concepts:

4. Destination positioning at intersections.
  (i.e. getting to the proper place in preparation for a turn)
5. Speed positioning between intersections
  (e.g. passing a slower cyclist)

Within a year or so they can be introduced (under supervision) to four
lane roads, higher traffic densities and more complex traffic patterns.

Forester source: http://www.johnforester.com

Newsletter:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb/Newsletter