    Mary> Would a knowledgeable person please explain to me the
    Mary> difference between: = Notch, Gap, and Pass?

    Mary> What about the "Col" in France.  Is it a Notch, Gap, or
    Mary> Pass?  or is the w= ord all-encompassing?

    Bob> This question came up on the Vermont Tour this year.  Here's
    Bob> my opinion:

    Bob> There is no difference geographically among these terms.
    Bob> They are regional variants of the same thing, a road which
    Bob> crosses over a high mountain with higher land on either side
    Bob> of the road.

I did a quick peek at dictionary.com, and as Bob said, they are all
synonyms.  Notch is identified as a US variant, and dictionary.com
says:

    2.A narrow pass between mountains.

which certainly applies to Smugglers, Pinkham, Franconia, and
Crawford.

Perhaps the terminology has to do with the width of the pass,
with "notch" being the most narrow, and "pass" being the broadest.

    Bob> In New Hampshire, "notch" seems to be the most frequent
    Bob> term. Pinkham Notch, Crawford Notch, Franconia Notch, Kinsman
    Bob> Notch, Dixville Notch, Hancock Notch, Bear Notch, Carter
    Bob> Notch, Evans Notch.

    Bob> In Vermont, it's "gap" (though Smugglers' Notch is the most
    Bob> famous and there's also Hazens Notch).  Appalachian Gap,
    Bob> Middlebury Gap, Brandon Gap, Lincoln Gap, Willoughby Gap,
    Bob> Sherburne Gap.

Hmmm, can't say I've done Hazen's Notch.  This is something I must
rectify!

    Bob> The "pass"es seem to be out west: Loveland Pass, Fremont
    Bob> Pass, Independence Pass.  Vermont's Sherburne Gap is
    Bob> sometimes called Sherburne Pass.

I've always thought it was called Sherburne Pass.  Isn't that what's
on the state map?

Given past experience -- pass is the easiest of the lot, and notches
are a [censored].

Perhaps somebody at [EMAIL PROTECTED] knows the scoop!

  ..greg

------
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Club Office:      [EMAIL PROTECTED],  (613) 230-1064
Web/mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb
Newsletter:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb/Newsletter