It has been my experience that bikes whose owners pull them apart on
a regular basis for 'preventive maintenance' are the very ones that seem to
break down the most often, but then, all that was pre-Shimano !

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominic Richens [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 1:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [obc] Rideau Lakes tour questions

Too true.

As an aside, what kinds of things have broken down in years past that
required either SAGging or a mechanic to fix?  Any stats on that?

Anything on my bike that cannot be repaired (even temporarily) with the
tools in my "tool sock" gets a quick visual inspection before any long ride.
I've:
- broken spokes
- gashed tires
- mash rear-derailleur
- rear-derailleur fell apart, launching sprocket wheel into some field
- broken chain
In all cases I was able to fix the bike enough to ride another 100km.

I have had a seat post fail on me _three times_ (either the seat-clamp pin
or at the post/clamp interface), but always on my 18km commute to/from work,
where I've been able to ride w/o seat the rest of the way (were my legs
sore!).

I have also heard of pedal axels snapping...which would be a problem.

BTW Greg: where there any signs before you started that the wheel would
pretzel?

cheers!