From: Avery Burdett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 4:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [obc] Hey Avery et al.

Apparently this is a private member's bill introduced by the Liberal MPP
for Brant, Dave Levac. It appears to bring boarders, skaters, scooter
riders, etc within the scope of the bicycle helmet law.

What is not obvious from reading it is the proposal to repeal the
regulation which exempts adults from the law. Looks like a helmet law for
adults by stealth. Once again we have an MPP who thinks he should decide
whether you, me and everyone else should wear a helmet or not.

Since private member's bills are usually publicity stunts and don't go
anywhere, it may just die. I am however trying to determine what the
positions of the government and the opposition party are, just in case
someone forgets there'll need to be a public discussion before thsi goes
any further.

Wright, Eric ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Okay...I'll start,
> Highway Traffic Amendment Act (Helmets), 2002
> I believe helmet use should be mandatory only on multicrash paths (ie.
> 'bikepaths')...but it appears pathways would be excluded with he proposed
> ammendment.  Maybe someone will have to form a new club that ONLY rides on
> multiuse paths
>
> http://www.ontla.on.ca/documents/Bills/37_Parliament/Session3/b111_e.htm
>
> Eric Wright

> Club Office:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (613) 230-1064
> Website: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb
> Newsletter:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Avery Burdett
Ottawa, Ontario