Oil is bad! It causes the saddle to be far too soft and flexible, unlike
plastic saddles the leather is what supports your weight. Any penetrating
oil will do that.

FWIW, Sheldon Brown, otherwise a good guy, likes saggy saddles.  Proofride
is just plain jane British equestrian saddle wax, same kind of hard wax used
to protect nice English-style horse saddles from the wet without getting too
slippery. Either Proofride or saddle soap will work fine, and most modern
saddle soaps have silicone sealants to make them last a lot longer and keep
the wet out better.

On 09/04/2002 10:01 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Oil or Proofide it every few months, and you'll have a saddle that will
> last longer then your bike...If it starts to sag (which it will) give
> the front bolt a half turn.
>
> Other English opinions?
>
> Cheers
> Peter T.

Club Office:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (613) 230-1064
Website: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb
Newsletter:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]