On 9/30/14, 8:26 PM, Charles Horn wrote:

> I don't know about the subject 'in library' -- it doesn't sound like a
> reliable way to determine if a book has an e-book. Clicking on the
> subject gives a list of  "241,107 works / 239,752 ebooks" so it doesn't
> look like a valid conclusion to draw. The subject field should be the
> subject of the work, these look like bad / misplaced data to me. Maybe
> someone else knows what this is about.

Unfortunately, a previous director of the OL project was an advocate of
throwing everything into the subject field, so there are things there
like "Protected DAISY" which tells you the access status of the ebook.

That it is an ebook is determined, I believe, as you do below, which is
to use the link back to the Archive's stored copy.

kc

>     However, when I go to the actual book
>
> <https://openlibrary.org/books/OL1737246M/Testing_computer_softwarehttp://>
>     I don't see the 'subjects' field.
>
>     When I use the API I get the same behavior, i.e,. for the OL1940521W
>     <https://openlibrary.org/works/OL1940521W/Testing_computer_software>
>     record I see 'subjects', but not for OL1737246M
>
>     Can you help me make sense of this?
>

> I have had a look at the book in question and how it shows up in the
> ruby gem, what I think you want to see is the 'ebooks' field as
> documented in the books API https://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/api/books
>
> The API request for the book you mentioned is
> https://openlibrary.org/api/books?bibkeys=OLID:OL1737246M&jscmd=data
>   which has the "ebooks" field there:
>
> "ebooks": [{"formats": {"djvu":
> {"url":"https://archive.org/download/testingcomputers00kane/testingcomputers00kane.djvu";,
>  "permission": "restricted"}},
> "preview_url":"https://archive.org/details/testingcomputers00kane";,
> "availability": "restricted"}]
>
> I was about to tell you the ruby Gem doesn't support this field, but thats
> not true... You won't be able to see the ebooks if you use the Rest Client,
> which is what I assume you tried first. You'll need to use the Books Client /
> Openlibrary::Data :
>
> data = Openlibrary::Data
>
> book =data.find_by_olid('OL1737246M')
>
> book.ebooks