On 06/06/2015 09:32 AM, jessamyn c. west wrote:
It's a thing that isn't built into the back end so they've been
reluctant to do it' but it's never a bad idea to ask again.

The Internet Archive/Open Library isn't pushing OL as an open source project hard enough.

The Open Library should be at least as useful as IMDB is for films, but it's not. Not having enough content is one thing. I can help fix that, and would, but every time I have a go at editing, I run into not just hurdles but full-on roadblocks of the sort we're already discussing here. And that's been the case for years (both the existence of the roadblocks and the ineffectual discussions around them).

It comes down to inadequacy of the code and the lack of direction in OL as a project, every time.

The Internet Archive could put out a call that says, "Hey, we're really looking for some help here", and it would reach the front page of HN /tomorrow/ and the codebase would be teeming with attention. That interest might wane. It almost definitely will. But OL should be able to come out of it with at least half a dozen or so serious contributors in the end, which in turn would allow an actual community of content editors to form. It requires, though, that IA/OL position itself as appearing interested in help, and that's not the case right now.

--
Colby Russell