On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Jon Leech <oddh...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 02:40:47PM +0530, Anand Chitipothu wrote:
> refreshes
> > > for
> the
> Sometimes it
> > >
> > >     Is there supposed to be a visible (or invisible?) popup when
> > > borrowing books? It might help diagnose what's going wrong if I know
> how
> > > it should behave when it goes right.
> >
> > Yes, it is supposed to be visible. That is the file dialog that asks the
> > user to save the acsm file.
> >
> > But if the reload happens before the form submit comes backs with the
> file
> > dialog, we get to see the issue that is reported now.
>
>     Thanks for explaining. After a bit more experimenting, I think the
> basic issue is that browsers these days block pop-ups by default. When I
> try to borrow in Iceweasel (aka Firefox) 31.8.0 / Debian 8, the default
> behavior is as I described upthread; if I turn off "Block pop-up
> windows" in the Preferences / Content dialog, then it will indeed pop up
> a save-file window on the first attempt to borrow a book.

    Chromium (and thus presumably Chrome) is much more problematic. In
> Chromium 43.0 / Debian 8, the default behavior (which is buried deeply
> inside Settings / Advanced Settings / Privacy / Content Settings /
> Pop-ups) is "Do not allow any site to show pop-ups". Changing this,
> either by adding an exception for lending.us.archive.org and
> openlibrary.org (not sure which is needed), or simply "Allow all sites
> to show pop-ups", unfortunately does *not* fix the behavior. Perhaps
> there is another setting blocking the pop-up as well.
>
>     My thought is that OL is fighting an upstream battle if it tries to
> make pop-ups be an important part of the checkout process. Almost
> everyone hates them, most browsers now block them (even not considering
> the added plethora of security / antispam browser extensions many users
> have installed), and it's probably a better idea to use modern web
> technologies in OL instead. I appreciate that's not something likely to
> be addressed soon given the very limited dev resources available to OL,
> though.

That is not really a popup in the traditional sense. The server is setting
a content-disposition header on the response to force the browser to open a
file-save dialog. This is not blocked by firefox/chrome.

The open issue is that the webpage will not be aware when the file-save
dialog is opened. Since OL wants to display a different screen after the
file is saved, it tired to solve that problem by adding a reload after a
timeout and that is what creating the trouble.

Anand