I know I was just suggesting you model People as foaf:Person instead
of skos:Concept ... but you might want to consider using skos:altLabel
to model alternate names for people.

skos labeling properties were designed for labeling resources that
aren't necessarily of type skos:Concept [1]. The domain for
skos:altLabel is not defined. You can see this use of skos labeling
properties documented in Leigh Dodd's and Ian Davis'  Linked Data
Design Patterns [2].

It might be worth prodding the foaf-dev [3] discussion list to see
what other people have used in the past for alternate names. I guess I
can do that and report back here if you like?

//Ed

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#L1541
[2] http://patterns.dataincubator.org/book/preferred-label.html