I think what we are saying is...if Olds did run low on the new 400 motor to put in the car for its early production...that maybe...just maybe they did
put the 425 motors in some. I thinks thats all some  are saying.

They didn't run out of 400Es, and I'm sure the CEO of Olds would fire his procurement manager before he put 425s into '65 442s if there had been a shortage. A shortage of engines would have simply slowed production, allowing the Olds dealers to charge a premium price. That didn't happen, either. I was 18 years old then, and wanting one. I was on top of that issue, bugging Hell out of Olds people, and trying to figure out a way to get one.

Milton Schick
1964 442 Cutlass
[EMAIL PROTECTED]