Scott,

He's measured the rods and they're "in the middle of spec". He's also measured the crank which is on the narrow end of spec, leaving me with apporx. .002" oil clearance.

0.002" is fine. What bearing clearance on the rods and mains were you planning on running?

He says that It's within spec and you could put in a set of standard bearings and go, just that my oil pressure, when hot, would drop at idle.

You'll never see a pressure difference between 0.0015" and 0.002". Also, I thought you were going to use a high volume Melling oil pump. You'll have more pressure than stock. Do you know how much oil pressure you'll probably have?

He says that it would have enough pressure but that lower pressures sometimes make guys nervous and he was going to leave it up to me to decide.

He sure wouldn't like my clearance specs. On Thunder and other race engines, I run Clevite 77 bearings with 0.0035" on the mains and 0.0025" on the rods. I have a hot oil pressure at 1500 RPM of 45 pounds and 25 pounds at my 1000 RPM idle. I use straight weight 40 oil. That's more than enough.

For a more stock engine, I'd use 0.0025" on the mains and 0.002" on the rods with 30 weight oil. The hot oil pressures should be about what Thunder has now, above.

Milton Schick
1964 442 Cutlass
[EMAIL PROTECTED]