On Tue, 2 Sep 2014, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

The poses the question: we're already responsible for the correct operation of
the pkgadd (SVR4 tools) and pkg(5) IPS tools.
 I'm not sure that OmniOS wants to be responsible for the correct operation of
pkgin (not even opening the can of worms that
are the packages that it provides).

There is also the issue that there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the packages and different package manager binaries for each. I installed the 64-bit versions on my OpenIndiana system and learned that they are very 64-bit. For example, the GCC compiler produces 64-bit code by default. Linking behavior is also different.

Putting the pkgsrc-installed packages in my executable search path caused stability problems for my software development practices (introduced build problems) and so I have removed it from my executable search path.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn