On Mon, 9 Nov 2015, Chris Siebenmann wrote:

Technically, I believe OmniOS "owns" /opt/omni. Feel free to define
other subdirs as datasets hosted elsewhere (out of tree of rootfs
children). My own admin-scripts go under /opt but these are okay as
part of rootfs/BE so I don't dataset them ;)

OmniOS also puts stuff in eg /opt/gcc-4.8.1, which suggests that in
general all /opt/gcc-* names are potentially dangerous (since OmniOS
may change the supplied GCC versions at some point).

In fact, it did change the supplied GCC version in this release. Older versions remain installed but are attributed to previous releases. The GCC development packages need to be explicitly requested for installaion.

I did have to explicitly request to install GCC 5.1.0.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn