On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, Lauri Tirkkonen wrote:

I would personally like to see LibreSSL either in OmniOS itself or the
possibility to use it in my own application stack (eg. the SmartOS route
of changing the symbol names of the OS-shipped TLS library to avoid
conflicts).

While the notion of LibreSSL is great, we should take care because LibreSSL is targeted to OpenBSD APIs and requirements. Some behaviors have subtle (yet significant) differences and the differences need to be carefully considered to make sure that behavior is correct under Illumos. For Linux there are known cases where the OS difference resulted in a security weakness (which may still exist).

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn