> On Mar 21, 2017, at 11:11 AM, Software Information
> <softwareinfor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All
> I am just being introduced to IllumOS and OmniOS. I am coming from FreeBSD so
> as I learn I try to think of the command equivalent to what I know in
> FreeBSD. I am currently studying how to manage packages and so far, one thing
> that is eluding me is how to know which packages need updating. In freebsd I
> would do pkg version -v to see the list. Something like below would be the
> result.
>
> opendkim-2.9.2_5                   <   needs updating (index has 2.10.3_6)
> openntpd-6.0p1_3,2                 <   needs updating (index has 6.0p1_4,2)
> p5-Bit-Vector-7.3                  <   needs updating (index has 7.4)
> p5-Carp-Clan-6.04                  <   needs updating (index has 6.06)
> p5-Date-Calc-6.3                   <   needs updating (index has 6.4)
> p5-Locale-gettext-1.05_3           <   needs updating (index has 1.06)
> pcre-8.37_4                        <   needs updating (index has 8.40)
>
> What command would I use in IllumOS? Thanks for any help and I have to say, I
> am impressed with the concepts I am seeing.

Hello again!

A reminder, pkg(1) is distro-specific, not native to upstream illumos.

As I said on the other list:

Read the manual page for pkg(1).  If you utter "pkg update -nv", you'll get a
breakdown similar to the one you see above.  For a larger upgrade (like if
illumos got rebuilt and pushed to your upstream repo server), that can be quite
verbose.  Also, if you have zones, linked-image zone will get pulled along for
the ride.

Welcome to illumos (note the capitalization) and OmniOS (note the
capitalization)!

Dan