[Winona Online Democracy]

The issue of contemporary community standards is one of the most
complicated--and most misunderstood--elements of current obscenity law, as
evidenced by this statement on a Winona Online Democracy exchange:

"To my recollection, the Supreme Court has ruled that obscenity is to be
defined by the community. Well...this is your opportunity to help define
what's obscene in Winona."

That statement implies that Winonans could establish an obscenity standard
specific to Winona, a standard that could differ, say, from one in Houston,
Minn. That's not true. The following passage from The Law of Mass
Communications: Freedom and Control of Print and Broadcast Media (eighth
edition), by Dwight L. Teeter Jr. and Don R. LeDuc, quotes a U.S. Supreme
Court ruling concerning a case (Jenkins vs. Georgia) in which a theater
manager was convicted of violating state obscenity law after showing the film
Carnal Knowledge. The U.S. Supreme Court overturned that conviction. Why?
Because, the textbook tells us, "In essence, the Court was saying that
although it was now willing to accept the fact that 'contemporary community
standards' regarding sexual matters might vary to some extent from region to
region, there could be no finding of obscenity anywhere in the United States
unless the material in question could reasonably be considered to be obscene."

The Teeter and LeDuc text cites another case (Pope vs. Illinois), in which
Justice White, writing for the majority, concluded, "Just as the ideas a work
represent need not obtain majority approval to merit protection, neither,
insofar as the First Amendment is concerned, does the value of a work vary
from community to community based on the degree of local acceptance it has
won. The proper inquiry is . . . whether a reasonable person would find such
value in the material, taken as a whole." More simply put, Teeter and LeDuc
conclude that Justice White's message was that "'artistic value' was not a
relative term that each community could be permitted to establish for itself."

If you're still reading this, thanks for sticking with me through that thicket
of legalistic prose. I think it's very important that we understand we cannot
ban something simply because some people, or, for that matter, lots of people,
don't like it.

Steve Schild