[Winona Online Democracy]

Several regular contributors of the GOP persuasion have responded to my
contention that a celebration of the U. S. Supreme Court's election
decision seems to be somewhat at odds with their dogma of States' Rights.

As I understand the gist of the argument, their perception is that The
Court actually supported States' Rights, because it supported Florida's
right to legislate state election procedures. So States' Rights is narrowly
defined as being about State Legislatures' Rights.

Justice Stevens' dissent (joined by Ginsburg and Breyer) addresses just
this point! The Federal Constitution "does not create state legislatures
out of whole cloth, but rather takes them as they come--as creatures born
of, and constrained by, their state constitutions."

"When questions arise about the meaning of state laws, including election
laws, it is our settled practice to accept the opinions of the highest
courts of the States as providing the final answers." Citing a 100 year
precedent, he points out that "we also observed that 'the State's
legislative power is the supreme authority except as limited by the
constitution of the State.' The legislative power in Florida is subject to
judicial review pursuant to Article V of the Florida Constitution, and
nothing in Article II of the Federal Constitution frees the state
legislature from the contraints in the state constitution that created it."

In other words, States' Rights really pertains to the rule of (state) law
and (state) Constitution in each state, not just to the state legislature
in a vacuum. The Florida Constitution gives the Florida Supreme Court the
role of judicial review and interpretation. The recent 5-4 decision in
question takes away the Florida Court's constitutionally mandated
responsibility. Sure sounds like the Federal Court is doing that "activist"
thing which usually raises conservative hackles. But this time it's ok!

I realize there are strong arguments on both sides as to what did or
didn't, should or shouldn't have happened in Florida. I just wanted to
point out that I don't think the conservative veneration of States' Rights
is as pure or consistent as is usually stated.

At least that's the way it looks to me, and one reason why I'm not going to
be embracing any time soon the predictable calls to "put all this mess
behind us and move on." Move on, sure, but it doesn't make the whole thing
any more legitimate in my book.

Scott Lowery
461 Sunnyview Drive, Rollingstone MN 55969
home phone: (507)689-4532
school phone: (507)453-3888
home email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
school email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be
counted counts."                Albert Einstein

"You can fool too many of the people too much of the time." James Thurber