[Winona Online Democracy]

Hello all!

I was thinking about these online debates about restoration of old buildings
as I spent time looking at pictures of a friend's recent trip to Europe (a
building from the 1200's and the 150 year old re-furbished farm house in
which she stayed with relatives really impressed me).  It seemed that
preserving the old was the norm and I wondered what was so different there
from here?  Does anyone have knowledge or experience in this area?  How do
they manage this?

My opinion is that the old middle school should be developed into housing
units and the Courthouse should at least be restored to continue to serve as
a Courthouse.  It seems that public opinion, in general, supports both of
these outcomes.  How can the parties more closely involved work out the
details to achieve this without resorting to force such as eminent domain?
Might it be in the best interest of all involved to share the cost of a
community mediator to assist in the process or is there some other way that
the public could send a message asking for our representatives to resolve
this in a timely manner while considering our best interests (in my opinion
a balance of fiscal responsibility with a vision for the future)?

I'm also noticing a shortage of facts regarding the Metro Plains plan.  I
think we need more specific info. from them.  If, indeed, they can show they
will be ready to move ahead before the courts and related offices are ready
to move, maybe that's just all a part of the price we pay for the disaster
at the courthouse and chalk it up to having made the best decision at the
time.  Hindsight is always 20/20.

That's my 2 cents.

Kathy Seifert