On 30 June 2011 07:10, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:

> Umm, 100% fidelity to/of what?  I would love to understand the
> qualifications that attach to that statement, and how whatever that is can
> be demonstrated/verified.
>
> "[T]hey both operate on odf files with 100% fidelity."

If I save an odf file from OOo it will open exactly the same in LibO. If
that isn't true than I would be interested to know where things break.
(Fonts I think are a different issue) If it isn't 100% true it is pretty
likely to be more true than filtering to either other applications that use
odf or .doc etc. From an end user point of view all they will be concerned
about is that files produced in OOo don't break in any way if imported into
LibO or vice versa. Of course product divergence might make this less likely
but at the moment I don't think there is a significant problem but I'm
willing to be corrected. So do we scare the end user or give them more
confidence?

In terms of verification or otherwise, give me a file created in OOo that
will not open correctly in LibO other than because the fonts are different
on the two systems creating the files. If you prefer to say that OOo/LibO
use the same file format so you are safe exchanging files between OOo and
LibO, Ok, better to get rid of all mentions of technical stuff for end users
in any case. What we need is to give reasonable confidence to the end user
rather than obscure (to them) technical reasons why that might on some
almost impossibly rare occasion not be the case.
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.