On 2012-01-18 11:11 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
Sally,

On 18 January 2012 22:11, Sally Khudairi<s...@apache.org>  wrote:
Sorry, Louis -- not ignoring you; have been offsite for most of the day.

Actually, not a problem. I knew when I posted my first of several
messages late last night that it was way, way too late. But I had
waited for ASF to do something obvious on its own behalf, and when it
didn't--and when no one on the A OO list did, either--I thought at the
least I'd raise the issue, conscious of its belatedness; indeed, that
was part of the point, and I should hope that for the next time (and
there will be no end of next times) we can act before not after it's
too late.

Usually we (ASF Marketing&  Publicity) need more than same-day notice to
coordinate such efforts.

I know there's been discussion about this on the Membership side as well,
but the consensus (thus far) is to not black out *.apache.org, as was
suggested. No further action has been decided upon, IIRC.

Evidently.

Let's also keep in mind that the ASF Infrastructure team need to be kept
abreast of any decisions/proposals here as well, as they're the ones capable
of pulling the trigger on the site.

I am conscious of these things. So. Let's imagine that I want to get
ASF to do something reflecting the will of at least one of its
podlings. As was pointed out, we here can put up a demonstration. But
how would I go about persuading the ASF directorate? And is there any
kind of apparatus (political, technical) that would even allow for the
entire domain to reflect a banner message? (I'd assume, yes, but one
never knows.)

By "ASF directorate" do you mean the board? 8-) In terms of politics, I think you'll find the ASF Membership generally stays out of politics, at least in terms of official ASF messages (although many Members certainly have their own strongly held and blogged views!). In terms of technology, the infra team can provide advice and implement all sorts of cool things on the website if necessary.

The list of ASF officers is public:
  http://www.apache.org/foundation/

And this is a somewhat helpful overview of corporate structure:
  http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#structure

For this kind of question, it's really first up to a sufficient group of ASF Members who also volunteer to help do the work of publishing any theoretical apache.org top level website message. Depending on the situation, we'd certainly ask press@ for advice on how to make the message most effective. And any official statement would either be voted on by the board@, or would be signed by a specific ASF officer, depending on what topic it's on.

But historically we've shown that the ASF tends to take official positions rarely, and only about fundamental issues that are likely to affect all of our projects. My general impression of the Membership is that we don't want to be an advocacy group: we merely want to provide a good home for like-minded projects who choose to come here.

Individual projects are obviously allowed to manage their own websites as they wish, as long as they respect ASF policy and don't cross the line into types of lobbying that we're not allowed to do (for our particular kind of non-profit status in the US).

- Shane

Thanks
louis

Thanks,