On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 09:58:25 +0100
Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 October 2012 08:42, Fan Zheng <zheng.easy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, All:
> >
> > I am confused about the UX specifications of document representation
> > requirement on mobile devices, that which is the most first important point
> > should be, the different device condition adaptability of layout result? or
> > the fidelity of the document originally recorded?
> >
> > For example. An ODT format text document with several pages sized as
> > "Letter", which is physically defined as 279:216 (ratio as 1.29), and user
> > want to render it in a Kindle Fire, which supplies a 1024:600 (ratio as
> > 1.71) screen for presenting.
>

> Is it possible to have choices? Keep the original page aspect ratio and
> scroll (Never used a kindle so not sure if it can scroll but obviously
> Android on phones can!) or have a "fit to aspect" where the page is scaled
> to the kindle in AOO befor export. If one of the pre-defined page templates
> in AOO was the kindle page size it would be possible to reformat the pages
> in a document to that size just as you can change from say A4 to US letter.
> Probably for complex documents with graphics this would break some parts of
> the layout but for the sort of text only novels etc mostly used on these
> devices it should work well enough. This assumes you can export to
> epub/mobi format in any scale but I'm assuming that will be similar to
> export to pdf. Of course the resulting document layout could be checked by
> viewing the epub/mobi output. Having an odf viewer for the mobile devices
> would be an alternative method and probably less constrained than using
> epub formats but it is also more work to do it. OTOH a versatile odf reader
> for mobile devices could be very useful in helping establish odf as the
> open standard for all types of document.
>

> > If we do much more care about the adaptability
> > of representation, lots data recorded inside the file will be changed,
> > removed or even ignored. But, if we care about the fidelity much more, we
> > have to record all the document data inside, and rendering it on the
> > devices dutifully. In the case, all we could do for the UX, is to give some
> > adjustable scale.  Such differences are meaning not only the pagination
> > stuff, but also some solid data inside: thinking about a full
> > page-width-size table for instance.
> >

> There can be issues with documents that have both portrait and landscape
> pages in them on normal computer screens.
>

> > Of cause, all the former document editor/viewer applications for desktop,
> > will obey the "Keep Fidelity" as the very first rule. But what about the
> > mobile device platforms?
> >
> > As such differences will actually lead the solution into the different
> > direction, we maybe should make it clear before having a deeper discussion.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > ZhengFan

> > > Thank you. I know about the converters. The problem is that all our
> [...]

In this discussion it is important to specify clearly which Kindle is the
target device, as the screen ratio and pixel count varies from device to device
with the newer Kindles.  A stranger coming to this discussion might assume that
Kindle genericly refers to the normal "reading" Kindle, with an 800h x 600w
screen, which is the common Kindle in use.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>