Hi Dave.

Even though I have stopped my companies, I still have many other things to
do than working on AOO, and when I had my companies I had limited time, so
I can for sure follow you. Today I am just trying to help open source as
such, because it has helped me a lot in my career.

And to answer your question, yes I do have some ideas (but they might be
wrong), I have listed some of the important ones below:
- We need to focus more on people who want to help, instead of using all
the legal stuff (which are necessary) as a buffer not to move things. (e.g.
I got 2 volunteers working on a danish translation, highly motivated, now
we are discussing details about how to release the stuff). I think Rob is
having a lead here with his new web pages.
- We do NOT want a war of religions between AOO and others, ASF is well
known, upper end of free software, so we should be publicly asking for
collaboration.
- I think events like ApacheCon is nice, but events like FOSDEM is quite a
lot more important for the "ordinary" openSource developer.
- I would like to see more "marketing" for developers, instead of
businesses...I think we need to get back to roots where a developers think
its fun, and pride to develop AOO. We could easily e.g. make challenges
like "who can solve this problem".

I am new to AOO (so I am either interfering or bringing in new views), but
I have quite some years of experience with openSource and I am a strong
believer of ASF. The "apache way" is in many ways a limitation, but at the
end it is the guarantee for a better end-user product.

Please accept my apologies, if I have broken n-policies, but I think the
question from Dave was well placed, and well formulated so it deserved a
straight answer.

Jan.