Peter Lund wrote:
On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 17:26 +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
Hi,
Is there any place where the Vesa standards can be downloaded for free?

http://www.vesa.org

I found you can get http://www.vesa.org/public/VBE/vbe3.pdf easily.

As you can see, there are many VESA standards:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA

The one you are probably interested in is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions

If you go to this page:  http://www.vesa.org/Standards/summaries.htm
you can click on the link in "Please click for a list of standards that
are available in PDF format for immediate download".  Just feed the form
some garbage data -- you are going to use a standard dummy email address
and password to get into the real download page.

What you want there is probably vbe3.pdf.

I'm interested in 2D graphics rendering and thought about experimenting
with X server drivers (i'm familiar with X server internals).

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/pc-hardware-faq/supervga-programming/

Are PCs running linux still limited to doing all the video memory
accessing through one 64k window like vga?

No!  VESA introduced a protected mode interface a long time ago with VBE
2.0.  That allowed pretty much any program to access a flat frame buffer
on any machine as long as it used a DOS extender.  This was back in the
early nineties.  Borland was one of the suppliers of easy programming
environments that came with DOS extenders.

VBE 3.0 has a protocol that gives applications access to the some of the
acceleration functions that often were in the SVGA cards of the late
nineties.  I don't think it was ever widely implemented.

I found a standard for 2D acceleration:
http://www.vesa.org/public/VBE/VBE-AF07.pdf