On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM, Sharp, Chris <csh...@georgialibraries.org>wrote:

>  When I first started learning about the inner workings of Free and Open
> Source Software projects, I purchased "Producing Open Source Software" by
> Karl Fogel (http://producingoss.com/), which I think is a great guide for
> projects like ours written by a veteran of the Subversion project (one of
> our SFC cousins, incidentally).  In his chapter on communication, he has a
> section entitled "No Conversations in the Bug Tracker", that I think is
> worth a read: http://producingoss.com/en/bug-tracker-usage.html.

One side note from an update on Fogel's effort to produce a 2.0 version of
that book (and why it has been delayed beyond the original Kickstarter
delivery date):

"I started hearing from a ton of people who had thoughtful, constructive
suggestions for areas to update. One example: the original edition had a
section about not having long conversations in the bug tracker (because the
tracker is a poor tool for that, and mailing lists are better).  Well,
multiple people have independently written in to say that that might not be
so true anymore: bug trackers have evolved, they now integrate better with
other communications mechanisms, and for these and other reasons actual
practice in many projects has changed -- certain kinds of development
conversations do happen in the bug tracker now, and it works."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kfogel/updating-producing-open-source-software-for-2nd-ed/posts/578279